Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
By Kathy W.
Lake Wylie, SC
Use this recipe to make fresh tomato spaghetti sauce with ingredients straight from the home garden.
What you need
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped (substitute 1 zucchini with 1 yellow squash)
14-16 tomatoes, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 26.5-ounce cans spaghetti sauce
2 12-ounce cans tomato paste
¼ cup sugar
Salt and pepper (to taste)
What to do
- In large cooking pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic, onion, celery, and green pepper. Cook on medium heat 3-4 minutes. Add chopped zucchini (or zucchini and yellow squash) and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Cook sauce slowly on low about 2 hours, stirring regularly, to reduce liquid.
- Add spaghetti sauce, paste, and sugar to increase bulk. Cook slowly, stirring regularly, about another hour. Season to taste.
- Serve over hot pasta.
Share your fresh tomato recipes with Tomato Dirt readers ...
- Add browned ground beef or meatballs for a heartier meal.
- This recipe makes about 6-8 quarts of sauce. Freeze or can extras to enjoy during the midwinter
Other fresh tomato recipes
Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe ...
Guacamole recipe with fresh tomatoes ...
8 Layer Dip recipe ...
Tomato Skillet with Fresh Veggies ....
Tomato Bruschetta Recipe ...
Fried Green Tomato Recipe ...
Tomato Mozzarella Tidbits ...
The tomato sandwich: one way to make a southern classic ...
Roasted Corn Tomato Salad recipe ...
Return from Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Sauce to Tomato Dirt home