Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
By Kathy W.
Lake Wylie, SC
Use this recipe to make fresh tomato spaghetti sauce with ingredients straight from the home garden.
What you need
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped (substitute 1 zucchini with 1 yellow squash)
14-16 tomatoes, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 26.5-ounce cans spaghetti sauce
2 12-ounce cans tomato paste
¼ cup sugar
Salt and pepper (to taste)
What to do
- In large cooking pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic, onion, celery, and green pepper. Cook on medium heat 3-4 minutes. Add chopped zucchini (or zucchini and yellow squash) and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Cook sauce slowly on low about 2 hours, stirring regularly, to reduce liquid.
- Add spaghetti sauce, paste, and sugar to increase bulk. Cook slowly, stirring regularly, about another hour. Season to taste.
- Serve over hot pasta.
- Add browned ground beef or meatballs for a heartier meal.
- This recipe makes about 6-8 quarts of sauce. Freeze or can extras to enjoy during the midwinter
Share your fresh tomato recipes with Tomato Dirt readers ...
Other fresh tomato recipes
Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe ...
Guacamole recipe with fresh tomatoes ...
8 Layer Dip recipe ...
Tomato Skillet with Fresh Veggies ....
Tomato Bruschetta Recipe ...
Chow Chow: Green Tomato Relish Recipe ...
Fried Green Tomato Recipe ...
Tomato Mozzarella Tidbits ...
The tomato sandwich: one way to make a southern classic ...
Roasted Corn Tomato Salad recipe ...
Return from Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Sauce to Tomato Dirt home
As an Amazon Associate and Rakuten Advertising affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.