Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
Braydon S., culinary student
This tomato bruschetta recipe is a variation of the traditional Italian bruschetta, an appetizer, which consists of grilled bread and toppings.
What you need
6-8 tomatoes, small diced
1 whole clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh basil, chiffonaded (see below)
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups olive oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Mozzarella cheese, sliced in ½ inch thick
What to do
- Place sliced garlic in a bowl with balsamic vinegar and let it sit for 30 minutes for flavors to develop.
- Mix together tomatoes, vinegar mixture, and oil. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove tomato mixture from the refrigerator. Fold in basil.
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Slice baguettes on the bias, about ½ - 1 inch thick. Spread butter on cookie sheet or cooking tray. Sprinkle butter with salt and pepper. Lay baguette slices on tray. Bake baguettes until golden brown and butter is absorbed. Remove baguettes from oven.
- Turn oven up to broil.
- With a slotted spoon, place 2-3 tablespoons tomato mixture on each baguette slice. Reserve liquid (see Special Note, below.)
- Lay one slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each appetizer.
- Set appetizers under broiler. Allow cheese to melt. Do not let cheese brown. Remove appetizers from the oven and serve.
How to chiffonade fresh basil
Stack 5-8 basil leaves and roll tightly, lengthwise, to create a tube. With a sharp knife, slice roll finely into strips.
Use reserved tomato vinaigrette as a salad dressing on tossed green salad.
Tomato Sauce recipes
Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe ...
Tomato Salads and Side Dish recipes
Fried Green Tomato Recipe ...
Other fresh tomato recipes
Fresh tomato salsa ...
Return from Tomato Bruschetta Recipe to Tomato Dirt home